You can utilise Nova for Women and Children’s services through either:




You can call the intake line 1800 769 654, at that time you can either speak to support staff if available, or leave a detailed message and our intake worker will return your call. The intake worker will then make an appointment with you to assess your needs and link you in with the most appropriate supports.


Onsite an assessment can be completed onsite completing a face to face assessment this will allow Nova for Women and Children to assess your needs and link you in with the most appropriate support.




Have you used any Temporary Accommodation with Housing NSW? 

Temporary Accommodation may assist you whilst you are waiting to link in with our service. Link2home is a 24 hour telephone service for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.


You can call Link2home on 1800 152 152.

Alternatively, you can contact Housing NSW on 1300 305 667.


Are you escaping domestic or family violence?

You can contact the Domestic Violence Line on 1800 65 64 63 for crisis counselling and referral. 



Fill out our initial referral form here.



Third Party Referrals

External service Referrals may come from external Specialist Homelessness Service (SHS) or Non SHS services; ideally referrals would be on a Nova for Women and Children External Service Referral Form.


Download: External Service Referral Form (PDF)


Download: Client Consent Form (PDF)